How to check if your region is eligible for the DWP allowance and when it is paid

When the weather gets colder, heating bills tend to go up, which means that winter can put real financial pressure on the poorest people in society.

The DWP introduced cold weather payment in an attempt to address this, with the program running from November 1 to March 31 each year.

A payment of £ 25 is sent to eligible people for each seven-day period the temperature is below zero.

This is designed to be used for heating bills and other similar essentials – here’s how to check if your area is eligible for payment.

How to check if you can get payment in cold weather

If you are eligible for a payment, you should automatically receive it.

However, you can also check if your region is cold enough for payment by put your zip code in the DWP website here.

After each period of extreme cold in your area, you should receive payment within 14 business days. This amount will be paid into the same bank or mortgage company account as your benefit payments.

Read more

Warm House Discount 2021: How to apply for the £ 140 scheme, who can get it and when it gets paid

How to claim cold weather payment

If a change in your situation means that you think you should now be eligible, for example if you have a baby or if a child under the age of five comes to live with you, you should contact Employment Center Plus.

Say your retreat center Where Jobcentre Plus office if you think you should have received cold weather payment but did not. If you have universal credit, contact the helpline on 0800 328 9344 instead.

Who is eligible for cold weather payment?

If you are currently receiving any of the following, you may be eligible to receive Cold weather payments:

  • Annuity credit
  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • Employment and Income Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal credit
  • Assumption of mortgage interest (SMI)

Those who receive income support or an income-based jobseeker’s allowance can get cold weather payments if they have a disability or pensioner bonus, a disabled child, a child tax credit that includes an element of disability or a child under five living with them.

Persons entitled to ESA may also receive the benefit if they are part of a group of work-related activities or a support group, receive a severe or increased disability premium, a pensioner’s premium, a tax credit for children that includes a disability component, or have a child under the age of five living with them.

Applicants for universal credit can also receive the benefit as long as they are not employed or self-employed, and one of the following applies: they have a health problem or disability and have limited work capacity, and / or they have a child under five living with them.

They will also be eligible if they have a disabled child, whether they are employed or not.

Source link

Virginia C. Taylor